We are thrilled to announce that we are rolling out Premium accounts for The Old Reader. Since taking over the application in August we’ve made tremendous strides to improve the dependability and speed of the application. We’ve also begun the process of building and releasing heavily requested features and have worked diligently on user support. We believe The Old Reader is now truly a world-class application!
Our next goal is to ensure the long term financial viability of The Old Reader. Hosting, development, and support are not inexpensive and while it’s never been our goal to get rich off of this application, long term sustainability and growth will require revenue. So we explored several models for generating revenues including a premium offering and advertising. In the end, we’d like to avoid advertising as we feel it’s too invasive and runs counter to our strong belief in the open web. So we started working on a premium offering that would allow 90% of our users to continue on with a free account that is largely unchanged from what they are using today.
What will you get with The Old Reader Premium?
- Full-text search
- Faster feed refresh times
- Up to 500 Subscriptions
- 6 months of post storage
- Instapaper and Readability integration
- Early access to new features
What will it cost?
The Old Reader Premium will cost $3/month or $30/year. However, for the next 2 weeks (or up to 5,000 accounts) we’ll be offering the service for $2/month or $20/year and we will lock you into that price for a minimum of the next 2 years. This is our way of saying thanks to our existing users and hopefully getting the Premium service off to a great start.
Do I have to upgrade?
No! 90% of our users can continue on for free just as they are today. However, users with more than 100 feeds will need to upgrade to premium. Otherwise, all functionality will remain available to free accounts. We also offer a 2 week trial period for the premium service and will even allow that trial period to get extended for those still interested in moving to Premium.
We hope you are as excited about TOR Premium as we are. It’s a great value for a service that we know our users will love. Thanks for continuing to support us and thanks for using The Old Reader!
- mcaetano likes this
- bakedroy reblogged this from theoldreader
- bakedroy likes this
- tumblingroy reblogged this from theoldreader
- tumblingroy likes this
- snacktopia likes this
- shirinee likes this
- ayomason likes this
- master-li likes this
- ladybluevelvetunderground likes this
- joshuajnaylor reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- liloo reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- blulikethealchermes reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- trickylilangel likes this
- skakerman likes this
- schleifnet reblogged this from theoldreader
- lenapflueger likes this
- infectedworldmind likes this
- konyvtaros reblogged this from theoldreader
- katelinnea reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- superfeedr likes this
- superfeedr reblogged this from theoldreader
- darianiff reblogged this from theoldreader
- darianiff likes this
- andrewhickeywriter reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- theoldreader posted this