This morning I have mixed feelings: I am happy that we have the possibility to bring our beloved The Old Reader to a new level, and I am sad that Google Reader soon will be completely over. It was a large part of my daily internet life. We even started making The Old Reader because no one could stand my whining anymore.
News came unexpected (mind you, we are living in GMT, so it was literally the middle of the night), but we are doing out best. We tripled our user base (and still counting), and our servers are not amused so far. We will be deploying more capacity shortly, so things should get better by the end of the day. Please, be patient with us.
(The Old Reader’s team before March 13, photo by repor.to/shuvayev)
This is overwhelming. When we started this as something for us and our friends to use, we never expected so many of you to join us in our journey. Thank you very much for your kind words and support, we appreciate this.
Seeing Google Reader go, many of you are asking whether The Old Reader is going to stick around. Also, quite a lot of people would like to donate to keep our project running. We have been discussing this quite a lot recently, and we decided that paid accounts (the freemium model) are the way to go. We want to keep making a great product for our users, not cater it for advertisers’ needs.
We are going to be honest, we have not even started coding this yet. However, we would like to get this news out as soon as possible for everyone to know the way we will be going. Paid accounts will have some additional features, but the basic free accounts will still be 100% usable. We are not in this game to make money, but we want to give something special back to the people who are going to be supporting us.
We have our daily jobs, so we can’t promise that new features will be ready tomorrow or next week. We have no investors or fancy business plans, but we are open about everything we do, and we want to do it the right way.
We reworked the plans according to the news today. Creating an API for mobile clients is the number one priority in our roadmap. We would love to collaborate with any developers who were making Google Reader clients. Please, spread the word about this if you can.
For those of you who are posting feedback and creating new feature requests - please, double-check for existing items in Uservoice. We hate answering the same questions multiple times and removing duplicate requests.
Most asked questions are:
- “When will OPML import be working again?” As soon as we launch more capacity to handle this. Hopefully, later today.
- “Why are you asking for access to my Google contacts when I log in via Google account?” We don’t anymore.
- “When will you make an iOS app? How about Android?” We will start with API as soon as we can and see how it goes.
- “Why is there no way to login without Google or Facebook accounts?” We cover that one in our knowledge base, but we plan to implement own login code. The demand is high.
- “How do I rename a feed?”. Just browse the Tour page, please?
- “Shut up and take my money!”. Will work on that, stay tuned.
We have lots of things to do, and it will probably take us several days to reply to all emails and tickets. Also, Twitter keeps reminding us about daily tweet limits, so there might be delays as well.
Some other news: last week our developer (on the left) turned 21, and we have implemented PubSubHubbub support. Many of you asked us to make feed updates faster, and PubSubHubbub makes compatible feeds refresh almost instantly. Yay!
Thank you very much for your support. We will do our best during next three months to prepare for the day Google Reader will no longer be around.
- musicaalacarta likes this
- justanopeningact likes this
- dirtyriver reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- redpenner likes this
- floydiandm reblogged this from theoldreader
- floydiandm likes this
- addictions likes this
- markpasc likes this
- nicolasmccurdy likes this
- tonyaz likes this
- brandizzi reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- recortajes reblogged this from theoldreader
- ignaciogallego likes this
- nancym reblogged this from theoldreader
- nancym likes this
- billtronreadershares reblogged this from theoldreader
- wabigirl likes this
- ninoochat likes this
- superfeedr reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- superfeedr likes this
- dreamindaze reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- plasmatichedgehog-cyuzi likes this
- r-reader reblogged this from theoldreader
- adam-fontenot likes this
- mattledwidge likes this
- monsieurbombardier likes this
- tijames likes this
- fromeyer likes this
- shimeriana likes this
- frageelay likes this
- d---db---s likes this
- basquavita likes this
- granholm likes this
- tktc reblogged this from theoldreader and added:
- granholm reblogged this from theoldreader
- tktc likes this
- mordicaifeed reblogged this from theoldreader
- torniquato reblogged this from theoldreader
- torniquato likes this
- ericgeller likes this
- theshadowisfading likes this
- atomhjarta likes this
- mndrngs likes this
- abbyladybug reblogged this from theoldreader
- isweedan likes this
- atmamont likes this
- spotliights likes this
- thisistheglamorous likes this
- lifeisshortbutsweet reblogged this from theoldreader
- theoldreader posted this